Wednesday, April 1, 2015

FL - Happy April...The Following is NOT an April Fool's Prank...LOL

     Once upon a time, an otherwise intelligent woman exercised a rather silly non-thought-out move and wiped up the asphalt with parts of her body!  YES…I attempted to scratch my right ear with my left hand while riding my scooter at 35 mph.  All the questions you are asking yourself about that decision of mine, I have already asked myself and I can save you some time and energy…there is no reasonable answer! 
     Given the fact that I lost control of the bike, wobbled for who knows how long while I tried and landed in the opposing traffic lane where the scooter fell on top of my left foot whose shoe was attached to the rear wheel…I made out pretty good!  People from everywhere it seemed came to my side immediately.  The bike was lifted off of my foot, my shoe broke which released my foot from the wheel, and folks lifted me out of the street and onto the grass.  A very nice woman named Cindy called all the appropriate rescue people and my cousin, Chris, whom I was visiting! 
     Within moments, a fire truck and ambulance was on the scene.  After answering a zillion questions and the paramedics had sliced up my jeans…I just laid back and breathed several deep breaths of extreme gratitude.  I had no idea what was cut, bruised or broken, but it didn’t matter.  I was alive, I could breathe, think and speak and I was being well cared for by perfect strangers.   My guardian angels had worked overtime on my behalf that day without a doubt.
     On the ride to the hospital, I was noticing that there parts of my body that were burning and other parts that were throbbing.  All I could do during that time was to breathe slowly and deliberately.
My entire ER experience was as good as it gets, I’m thinking.  All those attending to my needs were kind, efficient, knowledgeable and humorous.  They provided a much needed levity without disregarding the painful reality.  An example was when the attendant snipped off the final threads to remove my jeans, he apologized for having to throw them away.  I said, “No problem, they were on their last leg anyway!”  The registration nurse, the attendant and I laughed hysterically!  The craziest part was that I hadn’t realized I made a funny until the nurse slapped her hand on the counter and cracked up!
     After the results of the 12 x-rays were in, the doctor stopped by to explain the results.  He said that at my age…and given the conditions of the accident…having but 4 impressive road burns and only ONE broken bone…I was one lucky woman!  Miraculous, to say the least!  He went on the say that I had fractured my left heel bone, would be put in a splint for a week, then either a cast or a boot and be out of commission for 8-12 weeks.  P..A..U..S..E..   My first reaction to the news was one of extremely mixed emotions…mostly gratitude and devastation!!!  A weird combination, huh?
     My cousin Chris and his wife Carol arrived at the hospital after they went to the scene and recovered my scooter and helmet.  That was only the beginning of a week’s worth of loving care they graciously provided which included helping me keep things light.   On Friday I had my appt. with the orthopedic surgeon.  Then on Saturday they drove Van-Go and me to my friend Marie’s…a 4 hour trip!
     But, all things considered around the entire incident, it’s a mere temporary inconvenience at best!  Besides, I’ve got my site set on 6 weeks…not 12…LOL   And I’m recuperating with a boot and not a cast (Thank goodness!), at Marie’s place in Madeira Beach, FL…exactly one block from the beach!  So, really, how bad could this be!  LOL   Another fun fact…Marie just moved here 3 weeks ago!  Had she not been here and welcomed me to stay with her until I'm up and about, I may have had to fly back to MD, and….well, let's just say I'm very grateful to Marie!!!
Pre-boot pose
ER splint

                   ***Updates of the “boot adventure detour” will be forthcoming…stay tuned!***

No comments:

Post a Comment